On the Go Spinach Couscous Bites
|LA Fashion Judge
Article by Gabriela Wells
If you want the perfect on the go snack that’s nutritious and delicious you have to make these little spinach bites! If you’ve had Trader Joe’s Spinach and Kale Bites you’ll probably see where the inspiration came from. They do take a little patience but once they’re done you’ll have the perfect snack when those hunger pains start to hit. You can also serve these up as a party appetizer; your guests will love them!
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 2 handfuls spinach leaves
- 5 basil leaves
- 1 cipollini onion chopped
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon butter (I used garlic butter) melted
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons oat flour or all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- Cook couscous according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt. Once onion is translucent add in spinach leaves. Cook just until spinach is a little wilted.
- Place the above mixture into a food processor. Add basil, parmesan, butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Turn food processor on low and blend until everything is minced really well.
- Place above mixture into a bowl. Add couscous and mix. Add in egg and egg yolk and continue to mix. If you find that the mixture isn’t binding together add a teaspoon or two or oat flour or all purpose flour.
- Start forming little balls out of the mixture. Roll each one in breadcrumbs and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 17 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Let cool down for a couple of minutes.
- Plate and serve as is or with a warm marinara sauce.