Exercise Tips To Avoid Back Pain
LA Fashion Judge
Article by Sylva Geyoghlian-Mendelsohn
Don’t wait until you have back pain to start figuring out what to do to alleviate the pain. Incorporating a few simple exercises in the morning will help you maintain a strong and healthy back. Sitting for prolonged periods of time can give you a stiff back, increasing pressure by approximately TWICE YOUR BODY WEIGHT. Therefore, it’s really important and beneficial to take 10 minutes out of your morning to do the following exercises:
When you wake up, before getting out of bed, try this…
- Pull one knee, at a time, towards your chest, making sure your back is relaxed. Hold for a few seconds, and repeat with your other knee.
- Repeat this stretch for 2-3 minutes
- This exercise stretches your lower and mid-back muscles, as well as your glutes, and hamstrings.
Once out of bed, try this…
- Lie on your back, feet flat on floor (hip-width apart)
- Raise hips towards the ceiling. Your knees, hips, and shoulders should all be aligned. Squeeze your glutes and hold for 2-3 seconds, then lower your body back down. Repeat.
- 12 reps / 3 sets
This exercise helps strengthen the muscles that stabilize the spine; it also targets your glutes, hamstrings, and core (which is always a plus)
- Make sure your handbag/backpack is NOT too heavy, and also switch sides when carrying.
- When lifting heavy objects, be sure to bend your knees before lifting the item, and use your legs (rather than your back) to slowly raise yourself back up.
- A good night’s restful sleep (sleep on your side/ firm surface)
- Maintain a healthy weight
Natural supplements (follow care instructions on bottle)
- Flaxseed oil
- Vitamin C
DON’T forget about your posture!
When hunching forward, you instantly place pressure on your lower back. Be sure to always stand tall, shoulders back, core tight, and look straight ahead, keeping neck in neutral position. And remember… Stay healthy, Be fit, Get strong!